What if there were a natural sweetener that:
- Was 300 times sweeter than regular sugar, with minimal aftertaste?
- Had no calories?
- Was suitable for diabetics?
- Appropriate for children?
- Did not cause cavities?
- Was heat stable and thus could be used for cooking and baking?
- Was a great alternative to synthetic sweeteners?
- Easily blended with other sweeteners, such as honey?
- And already widely and safely consumed in many countries around the world for decades?
Welcome to the world of stevia! You've never heard of stevia? It's time you found out about one of nature's sweetest secrets.
The Stevia Cookbook was written to let everyone know about this truly remarkable natural alternative to sugar and artificial sweeteners.
The Stevia Cookbook is divided into two parts. It begins with the little-known story of stevia--from its use by South American Indian tribes for hundreds of years to its more recent popularity in Japan. In Part Two, you will find over 100 taste-tempting recipes--a complete variety of dishes from breakfast to dinner fare to appetizers and desserts. Best of all, The Stevia Cookbook shows you how to substitute stevia for sugar and chemical sweeteners in your own recipes. Now you and your family can enjoy sugar-free versions of family favorite dishes any time--without the guilt, the calories, or the warning labels.
Size: 172 pages; 9"x 6".
Published in 1999.
Ray Sahelian, M.D., obtained a bachelor's degree in nutrition from Drexel University, and completed his degree in medicine at the Thomas Jefferson Medical School. An internationally recognized physician and medical writer, Dr. Sahelian reveals the most current information on cutting-edge nutrients, herbs, and hormones. He has appeared on numerous national television and radio programs and has been cited by prestigious magazines and newspapers. Dr. Sahalian is also the best-selling author of many books, including Creatine; Melatonin; DHEA; Pregnenolone; 5-HTP; Saw Palmetto; Kava; Coenzyme Q10; Glucosamine and The Common Cold Cure.
Donna Gates, MEd,is a widely acclaimed nutritional consultant, lecturer, and author. Combining the best of modern medical science, ancient Chinese medicine, and naturopathy, Ms. Gatres' many years of study and first-hand experience have given her keen insight into a broad array of today's health problems. She is the author of The Body Ecology, The Magic of Kefir, and The Stevia Story.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Part One: The Story of Sevia
- Chapter 1: Donna's Story—Dealings with the FDA
- Chapter 2: The Super Sweetener
- Chapter 3: How Safe Are Sweeteners?
- Chapter 4: The Many Faces of Stevia
- Chapter 5: Staying Healthy the Stevia Way
- Chapter 6: Cooking with Stevia
- Part Two: So Long, Sugar - Favorite Stevia Recipes
- Stevia Sunrise Breakfasts
- Salads and Dressings
- Satisfying Entrees and Side Dishes
- Sauces, Frostings, and Other Toppings
- Heavenly Cakes and Pies
- Homestyle Cookies, Candy, and Ice Cream
- Luscious Custards, Puddings, and Fruit Treats
- Sweet Drinks Are Made of These